Syd Barrett Net Worth, Bio, Wiki


Syd Barrett Net Worth

Syd Barrett makes how much a year? For this question we spent 18 hours on research (Wikipedia, Youtube, we read books in libraries, etc) to review the post.

The main source of income: Rock Stars
Total Net Worth at the moment 2024 year – is about $5 Million.



Syd Barrett information Birth date: January 6, 1946, Cambridge, United Kingdom Death date: July 7, 2006, Cambridge, United Kingdom Birth place: Cambridge Profession:Singer, Musician, Singer-songwriter, Guitarist, Songwriter Nationality:England Music groups:Pink Floyd (1965 – 1968), Stars

Height, Weight

:How tall is Syd Barrett – 1,67m.
How much weight is Syd Barrett – 57kg


Syd Barrett Net Worth
Syd Barrett Net Worth
Syd Barrett Net Worth
Syd Barrett Net Worth


Roger Keith Syd Barrett was an English musician, singer, songwriter, guitarist, and painter, best remembered as a founding member of the band Pink Floyd. He was the lead vocalist, guitarist, and primary songwriter during the bands psychedelic years, providing major musica…
Biography,Early yearsSyd Barrett was born as Roger Keith Barrett in the English city of Cambridge to a middle-class family living at 60 Glisson Road. Barrett was the fourth of five children. His father, Arthur Max Barrett, was a prominent pathologist and he was related to Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, through Maxs maternal grandmother Ellen Garrett, who was Elizabeths cousin. In 1951 his family moved to 183 Hills Road.Barrett played piano occasionally, but usually preferred writing and drawing. He got a ukulele at 10, a banjo at 11 and a Hofner acoustic guitar at 14. A year after he got his first acoustic guitar, he bought his first electric guitar and built his own amplifier. One story of how Barrett acquired the nickname Syd is that at the age of 14 he was named after an old local Cambridge jazz double bassist,[11] Sid The Beat Barrett, which claims Syd Barrett changed the spelling to differentiate himself from his namesake.[12] Another story is that when he was 13, his schoolmates nicknamed him Syd after he showed up to a field day at Abington Scout site wearing a flat cap instead of his Scout beret because Syd was a working-class name.[13] He used both names interchangeably for several years. His sister Rosemary stated, He was never Syd at home. He would never have allowed it.[11] He was a Scout with the 7th Cambridge troop and went on to be a patrol leader.[14]At one point at Morley Memorial Junior School he was taught by Roger Waters mother, Mary.[15] Later, in 1957, he attended Cambridgeshire High School for Boys[16] (with Waters). His father died of cancer on 11 December 1961,[17] less than a month before Barretts 16th birthday.[18] Also on this day, Barrett had left the entry in his diary for this date blank. By this time, his brothers and sisters had left home and his mother decided to rent out rooms to lodgers.[17][19][20] Eager to help her son recover from his grief, Barretts mother encouraged the band in which he played, Geoff Mott and The Mottoes, a band which Barrett formed, to perform in their front room. Roger Waters and Syd Barrett were childhood friends, and Waters often visited such gigs.[21] At one point, Waters even organised a gig, a CND benefit at Friends Meeting House on 11 March 1962, but shortly afterwards Geoff Mott joined the Boston Crabs, and the Mottoes broke up.In September 1962, Barrett had taken a place at the Cambridge Technical College art department,[22] where he met David Gilmour.[23] During the winter of 1962 and early 1963, the Beatles made an impact on Barrett, and he began to play Beatles songs at parties and at picnics. In 1963, Barrett became a Rolling Stones fan and Barrett and then-girlfriend Libby Gausden saw them perform at a village hall in Cambridgeshire.[23] It was at this point Barrett started writing songs, one friend recalls hearing Effervescing Elephant (later to be recorded on his solo album Barrett).[24] Also around this time, Barrett and Gilmour occasionally played acoustic gigs together.[25] Barrett had played bass guitar with Those Without during the summer of 1963[25][26] and both bass and guitar with The Hollerin Blues the next summer.[25] In 1964, Barrett and Gausden saw Bob Dylan perform.[23] After this performance, Barrett was inspired to write Bob Dylan Blues.[27] Barrett, now thinking about his future,[25] decided to apply for Camberwell College of Arts in London.[28] Barrett enrolled in the college in the summer of 1964[25] to study painting.[29]Pink Floyd years (1965–68)Main article: Pink Floyd § 1963–67: Early yearsStarting in 1964, the band that would become Pink Floyd evolved through various line-up and name changes including The Abdabs,[30][31] The Screaming Abdabs,[31] Sigma 6,[31][32] and The Meggadeaths.[31] In 1965, Barrett joined them as The Tea Set[31][33] (sometimes spelled T-Set).[34] When they found themselves playing a concert with another band of the same name, Barrett came up with The Pink Floyd Sound (also known as The Pink Floyd Blues Band,[34] later The Pink Floyd).[nb 1] During 1965, they went into a studio for the first time, when a friend of Richard Wrights gave the band free time to record.[nb 2][33]During this summer Barrett had his first LSD trip in the garden of friend Dave Gale,[41][42] with Ian Moore and Storm Thorgerson.[nb 3][41] During one trip, Barrett and another friend, Paul Charrier, ended up naked in the bath, reciting: No rules, no rules.[43] That summer, as a consequence of the continuation of drug use, the band became absorbed in Sant Mat, a Sikh sect. Storm Thorgerson (then living on Earlham Street) and Barrett went to a London hotel to meet the sects guru, Thorgerson managed to join the sect, while Barrett, however, was deemed too young to join. Thorgerson perceives this as a deeply important event in Barretts life, as he was intensely upset by the rejection. While living within proximity of his friends, Barrett decided to write more songs (Bike was written around this time).[37]London Underground, Blackhill Enterprises and gigsMain article: Blackhill EnterprisesWhile Pink Floyd began by playing cover versions of American R&B songs,[44] by 1966 they had carved out their own style of improvised rock and roll,[45][46] which drew as much from improvised jazz.[47] After Bob Klose departed from the band, the bands direction changed. However, the change was not instantaneous,[nb 4] with more improvising on the guitars and keyboards.[37] Mason reflected, It always felt to me that most of the ideas were emanating from Syd at the time.[nb 5][37]At this time, Barretts reading reputedly included: Grimms Fairy Tales, Tolkiens The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, Carlos Castanedas The Teachings of Don Juan, and The I-Ching. During this period, Barrett wrote most of the songs for Pink Floyds first album, and also songs that would later appear on his solo albums.[50] In 1966, a new rock concert venue, the UFO (pronounced as you-foe),[52] opened in London and quickly became a haven for British psychedelic music. Pink Floyd, the house band,[48][52][53][54] was its most popular attraction and after making appearances at the rival Roundhouse,[54][55][56] became the most popular musical group of the London Underground psychedelic music scene.By the end of 1966, Pink Floyd had gained a reliable management team in Andrew King and Peter Jenner.[57] Towards the end of October 1966, Pink Floyd, with King and Jenner, set up Blackhill Enterprises, to manage the groups finances. Blackhill was staffed by lodgers Jenner found in his Edbrooke Road house, and among others, Barretts flatmate, Peter Wynne Wilson (who became road manager, however, since he had more experience in lighting, he was also lighting assistant).[58] King and Jenner wanted to prepare some demo recordings for a possible record deal, so at the end of October, they booked a session at Thompson Private Recording Studio,[54] in Hemel Hempstead.[nb 6][58] King said of the demos: That was the first time I realised they were going to write all their own material, Syd just turned into a songwriter, it seemed like overnight.[59]King and Jenner befriended American expatriate Joe Boyd, the promoter of the UFO Club, who was making a name for himself as one of the more important entrepreneurs on the British music scene. The newly hired booking agent, Bryan Morrison, and Boyd had proposed sending in better quality recordings. From Morrisons agency the band played a gig outside London for the first time.[60] In November, the band performed the first (of many) strangely named concerts: Philadelic Music for Simian Hominids, a multimedia event arranged by the groups former landlord, Mike Leonard, at Hornsey College of Art.[54][60] They performed at the Free School[61] for the following two weeks, before performing at the Psychodelphia Versus Ian Smith event at the Roundhouse in December, arranged by the Majority Rule for Rhodesia Campaign, and an Oxfam benefit at the Albert Hall[54] (the bands biggest venue up to this point).[60]Tonite Lets All Make Love in LondonMain article: Tonite Lets All Make Love in LondonAt the beginning of 1967, Barrett was dating Jenny Spires (who would later marry future Stars member Jack Monck). However, unknown to Barrett, Spires had an affair with Peter Whitehead. Spires convinced Whitehead (who thought the band sounded like bad Schoenberg) to use Pink Floyd in a film about the swinging London scene.[62] So at the cost of ?80, in January, Whitehead took the band into John Woods Sound Techniques in Chelsea,[63] with promoter Joe Boyd in tow.[62] Here, the band recorded a 16-minute version of Interstellar Overdrive and another composition, Nicks Boogie.[62][63] Whitehead had filmed this recording, which was used in the film Tonite Lets All Make Love in London[63] and later on the video release of London 66–67.[62][63] Whitehead later commented about the band that: They were just completely welded together, just like a jazz group.[62]The Piper at the Gates of DawnMain article: The Piper at the Gates of DawnBoyd attempted to sign the band with Polydor Records.[51][64] However, Morrison had convinced King and Jenner to try to start a bidding war between Polydor and EMI.[64] In late January, Boyd produced a recording session for the group,[51][57] with them returning to Sound Techniques in Chelsea again.[nb 7][51][66] After the aforementioned bidding war idea was finished, Pink Floyd signed with EMI. Unusual for the time, the deal included recording an album, which meant the band had unlimited studio time at EMI Studios in return for a smaller royalty percentage. The band then attempted to re-record Arnold Layne, but the Boyd version from January was released instead.[65]The bands first studio album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, was recorded intermittently between February and July 1967 in Studio 3 at Abbey Road Studios, and produced by former Beatles engineer Norman Smith.[67] At the same time, the Beatles were recording Lovely Rita for their album, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, in Studio 2. By the time the album was released on 4 August, Arnold Layne (which was released months earlier, on 11 March) had reached number 20 on the British singles charts[68] (despite being banned by Radio London)[65][69] and the follow-up single, See Emily Play, had done even better, peaking at number 6.[68] The album was successful in the UK, hitting number 6 on the British album charts.[68] Their first three singles (including their third, Apples and Oranges), were written by Barrett, who also was the principal visionary/author of their critically acclaimed 1967 debut album. Of the eleven songs on Piper, Barrett wrote eight and co-wrote another two.[70]Departure from Pink FloydThrough late 1967 and early 1968, Barretts behaviour became increasingly erratic and unpredictable, partly as a consequence of his reported heavy use of psychedelic drugs, most prominently LSD. There is also much speculation that he suffered from schizophrenia. Once described as joyful, friendly, and extroverted, he became increasingly depressed and socially withdrawn, and experienced hallucinations, disorganized speech, memory lapses, intense mood swings, and periods of catatonia. Although the changes began gradually, he went missing for a long weekend and, according to several friends including Rick Wright, came back a completely different person. One of the striking features of his change was the development of a blank, empty, dead-eyed stare. He was unable to recognize old friends that he had known for years, and often did not know where he was. At one point, while on a tour of the city of Los Angeles, Barrett is said to have exclaimed, gee, it sure is nice to be in Las Vegas! Many reports described him on stage, strumming one chord through the entire concert, or not playing at all.[71] At a show at The Fillmore in San Francisco, during a performance of Interstellar Overdrive, Barrett slowly detuned his guitar. The audience seemed to enjoy such antics, unaware of the rest of the bands consternation. Interviewed on Pat Boones show during this tour, Syds reply to Boones questions was a blank and totally mute stare, according to Nick Mason, Syd wasnt into moving his lips that day. Barrett exhibited similar behaviour during the bands first appearance on Dick Clarks popular TV show American Bandstand.[72] Although surviving footage of this appearance shows Barrett miming his parts of the song competently,[73] during a group interview afterwards, when asked two questions by Clark, Barretts answers were terse, almost to the point of rudeness (though, Clark noted, they had been flying non-stop from London to Los Angeles). During this time, Barrett would often forget to bring his guitar to sessions, damage equipment and occasionally was unable to hold his pick.[74] Before a performance in late 1967, Barrett reportedly crushed Mandrax tranquilliser tablets and an entire tube of Brylcreem into his hair, which subsequently melted down his face under the heat of the stage lighting,[75] making him look like a guttered candle.[76] Nick Mason later disputed the Mandrax portion of this story, stating that Syd would never waste good mandies.[77]During their UK tour with Jimi Hendrix in November 1967, guitarist David OList from The Nice was called in to substitute for Barrett on several occasions when he was unable to perform or failed to appear.[78] Sometime around Christmas, David Gilmour (Barretts old school friend) was asked to join the band as a second guitarist to cover for Barrett, with the idea of retaining a five-member line-up of the band. For a handful of shows Gilmour played and sang while Barrett wandered around on stage, occasionally deciding to join in playing. The other band members soon grew tired of Barretts antics and, on 26 January 1968, when Waters was driving on the way to a show at Southampton University, the band elected not to pick Barrett up: one person in the car said, Shall we pick Syd up? and another said, Lets not bother.[79][80][81][82] As Barrett had, up until then, written the bulk of the bands material, the initial plan was to keep him in the group as a non-touring member—as The Beach Boys had done with Brian Wilson—but this soon proved to be impractical.[81][83][84] Gilmour subsequently became a full-time member of the band.According to Roger Waters, Barrett came into what was to be their last practice session with a new song he had dubbed Have You Got It Yet? The song seemed simple enough when he first presented it, but it soon became impossibly difficult to learn and they eventually realised that while they were practising it, Barrett kept changing the arrangement.[81][84] He would then play it again, with the arbitrary changes, and sing Have you got it yet? Eventually they realised they never would, and that they were simply bearing the brunt of Barretts idiosyncratic sense of humour.[85] Waters had called it a real act of mad genius.[81][84]Barrett did not contribute material to the band after A Saucerful of Secrets was released in 1968. Of the songs he wrote for Pink Floyd after The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, only one, Jugband Blues, made it to the bands second album, one, Apples and Oranges, became a less-than-successful single, and two others, Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man, were never officially released until 2016 in the The Early Years 1965–1972 box set, as they were deemed too dark and unsettling. Feeling guilty for ousting their friend, the members of Pink Floyd were unable to bring themselves to definitively tell Barrett that he was no longer in the band. According to Rick Wright, who lived with Barrett at the time, Wright had the awful job of telling Barrett that he was going out to buy cigarettes while he went off to play a gig. He would return hours later to find Barrett in the same position, sometimes with a cigarette burned completely down between his fingers (an incident later referenced in Pink Floyds The Wall). Emerging from catatonia and unaware that a long period of time had elapsed, Barrett would ask, Have you got the cigarettes?. Barrett supposedly spent time outside the recording studio, in the reception area,[86] waiting to be invited in. He also showed up to a few gigs and glared at Gilmour. Barrett played slide guitar on Remember a Day (which had been first attempted during the Piper sessions), and also played on Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.[87] On 6 April 1968, the group officially announced Barrett was no longer a member,[86] the same day the bands contract with Blackhill Enterprises was terminated as the record label, considering Barrett to be the musical brains of the band, stayed with Barrett.[81]Solo years (1968–72)After leaving Pink Floyd, Barrett was out of the public eye for a year.[88] Then, in 1969, at the behest of EMI and Harvest Records, he embarked on a brief solo career, releasing two solo albums, The Madcap Laughs and Barrett (both 1970), and a single, Octopus. Some songs, Terrapin, Maisie and Bob Dylan Blues, reflected Barretts early interest in the blues.[89]The Madcap LaughsMain article: The Madcap LaughsAfter Barrett left Pink Floyd, Jenner followed suit. He led Barrett into EMI Studios to record some tracks[90] in May that would later be released on Barretts first solo album, The Madcap Laughs. However, Jenner said: I had seriously underestimated the difficulties of working with him.[91] By the sessions of June and July, most of the tracks were in better shape, however, shortly after the July sessions, Barrett broke up with girlfriend Lindsay Corner and went on a drive around Britain in his Mini, ending up in psychiatric care in Cambridge.[92] During New Year 1969, a somewhat recovered Barrett had taken up tenancy in a flat on Egerton Gardens, South Kensington, London, with the Post Modernist artist Duggie Fields.[92][93] Here, Barretts flat was so close to Gilmours that Gilmour could look right into Barretts kitchen.[92] Deciding to return to music, Barrett contacted EMI and was passed to Malcolm Jones, the then-head of EMIs new prog rock label, Harvest[90] (after Norman Smith[94] and Jenner declined to produce Barretts record,[94] Jones produced it).[92][94] Barrett wanted to recover the Jenner-produced sessions recordings, several of the tracks were improved upon.[95]The Jones-produced sessions started in April 1969 at EMI Studios. After the first of these sessions, Barrett brought in friends to help out: Humble Pie drummer, Jerry Shirley and Jokers Wild (Gilmours old band) drummer, Willie Wilson. For the sessions, Gilmour played bass. Talking to Barrett wasnt easy, said Jones: It was a case of following him, not playing with him. They were seeing and then playing so they were always a note behind.[92] A few tracks on the album feature overdubs by members of the band Soft Machine.[55] During this time, Barrett also played guitar on the sessions for Soft Machine founder Kevin Ayers debut LP Joy of a Toy,[96] although his performance on Religious Experience (later titled Singing a Song in the Morning) was not released until the album was reissued in 2003.[55][97] One time, Barrett had told his flatmate that he was going off for an afternoon drive. However, he followed Pink Floyd to Ibiza (according to legend, he skipped check-ins and customs, ran onto the runway and attempted to flag down a jet). One of his friends, J. Ryan Eaves, bass player for the short-lived but influential Manchester band Yorks Ensemble, later spotted him on a beach wearing messed-up clothes and with a carrier bag full of money. At this point, during the trip, Barrett had asked Gilmour for his help in the recording sessions.[92]After two of the Gilmour/Waters-produced sessions,[98] they remade one track from the Soft Machine overdubs and recorded three tracks. These sessions came to a minor halt when Gilmour and Waters were mixing Pink Floyds newly recorded album, Ummagumma, to Barretts dismay. However, through the end of July, they managed to record three more tracks. The problem with the recording was that the songs were recorded as Barrett played them live in studio. On the released versions a number of them have false starts and commentaries from Barrett.[92] Despite the track being closer to complete and better produced, Gilmour and Waters left the Jones-produced track Opel off Madcap.[99]Gilmour later said of the sessions for The Madcap Laughs:[Sessions] were pretty tortuous and very rushed. We had very little time, particularly with The Madcap Laughs. Syd was very difficult, we got that very frustrated feeling: Look, its your fucking career, mate. Why dont you get your finger out and do something? The guy was in trouble, and was a close friend for many years before then, so it really was the least one could do.[100]Upon the albums release in January 1970, Malcolm Jones was shocked by the substandard musicianship on the Gilmour and Waters-produced songs: I felt angry. Its like dirty linen in public and very unnecessary and unkind. Gilmour said: Perhaps we were trying to show what Syd was really like. But perhaps we were trying to punish him. Waters was more positive: Syd is a genius.[101]Barrett said Its quite nice but Id be very surprised if it did anything if I were to drop dead. I dont think it would stand as my last statement. [101]BarrettMain article: Barrett (album)The second album, Barrett, was recorded more sporadically than the first,[102] with sessions taking place between February and July 1970.[101][103] The album was produced by David Gilmour,[101][104] and featured Gilmour on bass guitar, Richard Wright on keyboard and Humble Pie drummer Jerry Shirley. The first two songs attempted were for Barrett to play and/or sing to an existing backing track. However, Gilmour thought they were losing the Barrett-ness. One track (Rats) was originally recorded with Barrett on his own. That would later be overdubbed by musicians, despite the changing tempos. Shirley said of Barretts playing: He would never play the same tune twice. Sometimes Syd couldnt play anything that made sense, other times what hed play was absolute magic. At times Barrett, who experienced extreme synesthesia, would say: Perhaps we could make the middle darker and maybe the end a bit middle afternoonish. At the moment its too windy and icy.[101]These sessions were happening while Pink Floyd had just begun to work on Atom Heart Mother. On various occasions, Barrett went to spy on the band as they recorded their album.[101]Wright said of the Barrett sessions:Doing Syds record was interesting, but extremely difficult. Dave [Gilmour] and Roger did the first one (The Madcap Laughs) and Dave and myself did the second one. But by then it was just trying to help Syd any way we could, rather than worrying about getting the best guitar sound. You could forget about that! It was just going into the studio and trying to get him to sing.[105]PerformancesDespite the numerous recording dates for his solo albums, Barrett undertook very little musical activity between 1968 and 1972 outside the studio. On 24 February 1970, he appeared on John Peels BBC radio programme Top Gear[101][106] playing five songs—only one of which had been previously released. Three would be re-recorded for the Barrett album, while the song Two of a Kind was a one-off performance (possibly written by Richard Wright).[nb 8] Barrett was accompanied on this session by Gilmour and Shirley who played bass and percussion,[101] respectively.[nb 9]Gilmour and Shirley also backed Barrett for his one and only live concert during this period.[104] The gig took place on 6 June 1970 at the Olympia Exhibition Hall as part of a Music and Fashion Festival.[109] The trio performed four songs,[104] Terrapin, Gigolo Aunt, Effervescing Elephant and Octopus. Poor mixing left the vocals barely audible until part-way through the last number.[109] At the end of the fourth song, Barrett unexpectedly but politely put down his guitar and walked off the stage.[104] The performance has been bootlegged.[109][110] Barrett made one last appearance on BBC Radio, recording three songs at their studios on 16 February 1971. [nb 10] All three came from the Barrett album. After this session, he took a hiatus from his music career that lasted more than a year, although in an extensive interview with Mick Rock and Rolling Stone in December, he discussed himself at length, showed off his new 12-string guitar, talked about touring with Jimi Hendrix and stated that he was frustrated in terms of his musical work because of his inability to find anyone good to play with.[111]Later years (1972–2006)Stars and final recordingsSee also: Stars (British band)In February 1972, after a few guest spots in Cambridge with ex-Pink Fairies member Twink on drums and Jack Monck on bass using the name The Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band (backing visiting blues musician Eddie Guitar Burns and also featuring Henry Cow guitarist Fred Frith), the trio formed a short-lived band called Stars.[112] Though they were initially well received at gigs in the Dandelion coffee bar and the towns Market Square, one of their gigs at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge[113] with the MC5 proved to be disastrous.[114] A few days after this final show, Twink recalled that Barrett stopped him on the street, showed him a scathing review of the gig they had played, and quit on the spot,[114] despite having played at least one subsequent gig at the same venue supporting Nektar.[77]Free from his EMI contract on 9 May 1972, Barrett signed a document that ended his association with Pink Floyd, and any financial interest in future recordings.[115] Barrett attended an informal jazz and poetry performance by Pete Brown and former Cream bassist Jack Bruce in October 1973. Brown arrived at the show late, and saw that Bruce was already onstage, along with a guitarist I vaguely recognised, playing the Horace Silver tune Doodlin. Later in the show, Brown read out a poem, which he dedicated to Syd, because, hes here in Cambridge, and hes one of the best songwriters in the country when, to his surprise, the guitar player from earlier in the show stood up and said, No Im not.[116] By the end of 1973, Barrett had returned to live in London, staying at various hotels and, in December of that year, settling in at Chelsea Cloisters. He had little contact with others, apart from his regular visits to his managements offices to collect his royalties,[112] and the occasional visit from his sister Rosemary.In August 1974,[112] Jenner persuaded Barrett to return to Abbey Road Studios in hope of recording another album. According to John Leckie, who engineered these sessions, even at this point Syd still looked like he did when he was younger..long haired.[117] The sessions lasted three days and consisted of blues rhythm tracks with tentative and disjointed guitar overdubs. Barrett recorded 11 tracks, the only one of which to be titled was If You Go, Dont Be Slow. Once again, Barrett withdrew from the music industry, but this time for good. He sold the rights to his solo albums back to the record label and moved into a London hotel. During this period, several attempts to employ him as a record producer (including one by Jamie Reid on behalf of the Sex Pistols, and another by The Damned, who wanted him to produce their second album) were all fruitless.[118][119]Withdrawal to CambridgeIn 1978, when Barretts money ran out, he moved back to Cambridge to live with his mother. He returned to live in London again in 1982, but lasted only a few weeks and soon returned to Cambridge for good. Barrett walked the 50 miles (80 km) from London to Cambridge.[120] Until his death, Barrett received royalties from his work with Pink Floyd from each compilation and some of the live and studio albums and singles that featured his songs, Gilmour said that he made sure the money got to [Barrett]. [121]In 1996, Barrett was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Pink Floyd, but he did not attend the ceremony.[122]According to a 2005 profile in the book Madcap by biographer and journalist Tim Willis, Barrett, who had reverted to using his original name of Roger, continued to live in his late mothers semi-detached home in Cambridge, and had returned to painting, creating large abstract canvases. He was also said to have been an avid gardener and his main point of contact with the outside world was his sister, Rosemary, who lived nearby. He was reclusive, and his physical health declined, as he suffered from stomach ulcers and type 2 diabetes.[123]Although Barrett had not appeared or spoken in public since the mid-1970s, time did little to diminish interest in his life and work. Reporters and fans still travelled to Cambridge to seek him out, despite his attempts to live a quiet life and public appeals from his family for people to leave him alone.[124] Many photos of Barrett being harassed by paparazzi when walking or cycling from the 1980s until his death in 2006, have been published in various media. Apparently, Barrett did not like being reminded about his musical career and the other members of Pink Floyd had no direct contact with him. However, he did visit his sisters house in November 2001 to watch the BBC Omnibus documentary made about him – reportedly he found some of it a bit noisy, enjoyed seeing Mike Leonard of Leonards Lodgers again, calling him his teacher, and enjoyed hearing See Emily Play again.[125]Barrett made a final public acknowledgement of his musical past in 2002, his first since the 1970s, when he autographed 320 copies of photographer Mick Rocks book Psychedelic Renegades, which contained a number of photos of Barrett. Rock was perhaps the last person in the music industry with whom Barrett kept in contact. In 1971, Rock conducted the final interview of Barrett before his retirement from the music industry a few years later, and Barrett subsequently turned up on Rocks London doorstep four, maybe five times for a cup of tea and conversation through 1978, before Barrett moved back to Cambridge.[126] They had not spoken in more than twenty years when Rock approached Barrett to autograph his photography book, and Barrett uncharacteristically agreed. Having reverted to his birth name Roger from his stage name Syd many years before, he had autographed the book simply Barrett. [126]Death and aftermathAfter suffering from diabetes for several years, Barrett died at home in Cambridge on 7 July 2006,[20] aged 60. The cause of death was pancreatic cancer.[127][128] The occupation on his death certificate was retired musician.[129] He was cremated, with his ashes given to a family member or friend.[130] In 2006, his home in St. Margarets Square, Cambridge, was put on the market and reportedly attracted considerable interest.[131] After over 100 showings, many by fans, it was sold to a French couple who bought it simply because they liked it, reportedly they knew nothing about Barrett.[132] On 28 November 2006, Barretts other possessions were sold at an auction at Cheffins auction house in Cambridge, raising ?120,000 for charity.[133] Items sold included paintings, scrapbooks and everyday items that Barrett had decorated.[134] NME produced a tribute issue to Barrett a week later with a photo of him on the cover. In an interview with The Sunday Times, Barretts sister revealed that he had written a book:He read very deeply about the history of art and actually wrote an unpublished book about it, which Im too sad to read at the moment. But he found his own mind so absorbing that he didnt want to be distracted.[135]In response to the news of Barretts death, fellow Pink Floyd bandmate David Gilmour said:We are very sad to say that Roger Keith Barrett – Syd – has passed away. Do find time to play some of Syd’s songs and to remember him as the madcap genius who made us all smile with his wonderfully eccentric songs about bikes, gnomes and scarecrows. His career was painfully short, yet he touched more people than he could ever know.According to local newspapers, Barrett left approximately ?1.7 million to his two brothers and two sisters.[136] This sum was apparently largely acquired from royalties from Pink Floyd compilations and live recordings featuring songs he had written while with the band.[121] A tribute concert called Games for May[137] was held at the Barbican Centre, London on 10 May 2007 with Robyn Hitchcock, Captain Sensible, Damon A


Wikipedia Source: Syd Barrett

Leave a Comment